CMOS

Brian E Carpenter-2
The style guide says that the RFC Editor uses the Chicago Manual of Style,
but I notice that it lives behind a paywall.

What's a poor author supposed to do, when confronted with a review comment
that is really a matter of style? I can't check the style guide.

(In this case, I need to check the strange theory that "that" introduces
a restrictive clause whereas "which" is non-restrictive, or maybe it's
the other way round, and who cares anyway, because the meaning should be
clear without such an implied semantic distinction?)

((In case it isn't obvious, I believe this is a distinction invented on
the Western side of the Atlantic; it was certainly not something that,
or which, I ever heard on the Eastern side.))

Regards
   Brian

Re: CMOS

Andrew Sullivan-9
On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 11:58:06AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> (In this case, I need to check the strange theory that "that" introduces
> a restrictive clause whereas "which" is non-restrictive, or maybe it's
> the other way round, and who cares anyway, because the meaning should be
> clear without such an implied semantic distinction?)
>
> ((In case it isn't obvious, I believe this is a distinction invented on
> the Western side of the Atlantic; it was certainly not something that,
> or which, I ever heard on the Eastern side.))

You may think it was invented on the Western side of the Atlantic, but
my Gowers Fowler discusses it in some detail.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan

Re: CMOS

John R Levine
In article <[hidden email]> you write:
>What's a poor author supposed to do, when confronted with a review comment
>that is really a matter of style? I can't check the style guide.

Could author take the editor's advice rather than arguing about nits?

R's,
John

Re: CMOS

Brian E Carpenter-2
On 08/10/2017 08:44, John Levine wrote:
> In article <[hidden email]> you write:
>> What's a poor author supposed to do, when confronted with a review comment
>> that is really a matter of style? I can't check the style guide.
>
> Could author take the editor's advice rather than arguing about nits?

Generally, yes, and I rarely have a quarrel with the RFC Editor's editing.
But guidance at an earlier stage might be very useful for many of our
authors, and something freely available on the web would be better than
something behind a paywall. In any case, CMOS is far too long for most
people to use as a quick reference.

    Brian

Re: CMOS

John R Levine
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Could author take the editor's advice rather than arguing about nits?
>
> Generally, yes, and I rarely have a quarrel with the RFC Editor's editing.
> But guidance at an earlier stage might be very useful for many of our
> authors, and something freely available on the web would be better than
> something behind a paywall. In any case, CMOS is far too long for most
> people to use as a quick reference.

That's why we have copy editors, so authors don't have to worry about
style nits.  Perhaps the author could just take the editor's advice.

I suspect I've dealt with at least as many copy editors as anyone else
here, and that's what I always do.

R's,
John