DIX/SXIP delegation tag, HTML LINK rel, and profiles

DIX/SXIP delegation tag, HTML LINK rel, and profiles

Dan Connolly
John, Lisa,

It was good to see you at the W3C authorization workshop this week.
   http://www.w3.org/2005/Security/usability-ws/program
I'm pretty excited about DIX/SXIP and related web-like authorization
mechanisms,
but I don't think I can swing a trip to Dallas for the BOF next week.
   http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/agenda/dix.html

It's great that DIX/SXIP uses URIs for naming, and that it delegates
via DNS.

But the way it's done in section 5.10.3.2. Delegation Tag
of http://dixs.org/index.php/Draft-merrells-dix-01.txt ...
    <LINK REL="dix:/homesite" HREF="http://www.sxip.net/homesite"/>

... isn't using HTML as designed and specified.

In HTML 4, we added a profile attribute to the head element for this
purpose.
   section 7.4.4.3 Meta data profiles

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#h
-7.4.4.3

So I suggest in stead:

   <head profile="http://dixs.org/terms#">
    <link rel="homesite" href="http://www.sxip.net/homesite"/>

(more on dix: vs dixs.org separately.)

I note the draft doesn't include a normative reference to any HTML
specifications. Please
add one.

Also, the proposed charter ( http://dixs.org/index.php/DIX_Charter )
does not make
any connection to HTML. Please add something to note that use of HTML
syntax,
especially extensibility mechanisms like rel and profile, is in scope,
in order to attract
review from relevant experts.

Re: DIX/SXIP delegation tag, HTML LINK rel, and profiles

John Merrells-3

On 17-Mar-06, at 1:29 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> I note the draft doesn't include a normative reference to any HTML
> specifications. Please
> add one.

Yes, my error. I will add to the next draft.

> Also, the proposed charter ( http://dixs.org/index.php/
> DIX_Charter ) does not make
> any connection to HTML. Please add something to note that use of
> HTML syntax,
> especially extensibility mechanisms like rel and profile, is in
> scope, in order to attract
> review from relevant experts.

That might be presumptive... the charter only mentions HTML in the
context of a
HTTP transport binding and then only as an example way of encoding a
message.
The current interest in improving/extending/fixing HTTP-AUTH comes to
mind as
a possible alternative/substitute mechanism.

John

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 15:41 -0800, John Merrells wrote:

> On 17-Mar-06, at 1:29 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > I note the draft doesn't include a normative reference to any HTML
> > specifications. Please
> > add one.
>
> Yes, my error. I will add to the next draft.
>
> > Also, the proposed charter ( http://dixs.org/index.php/
> > DIX_Charter ) does not make
> > any connection to HTML. Please add something to note that use of
> > HTML syntax,
> > especially extensibility mechanisms like rel and profile, is in
> > scope, in order to attract
> > review from relevant experts.
>
> That might be presumptive... the charter only mentions HTML in the
> context of a
> HTTP transport binding and then only as an example way of encoding a
> message.

OK, but if the charter does _not_ mention work on HTML, then HTML
experts will not get signalled to take a look. I'm OK with that
*only* if the DIX WG is bound to *not use* any HTML syntax
in order to interoperate.

My understanding is that DIX is currently deployed, to some extent,
and that to interoperate with the deployed services, you have to
do some HTML stuff.

The charter should err on the side of noting all communities
of experties that might be relevant.

> The current interest in improving/extending/fixing HTTP-AUTH comes to
> mind as
> a possible alternative/substitute mechanism.
>
> John
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E

Re: DIX/SXIP delegation tag, HTML LINK rel, and profiles

John Merrells-3

(Actually wrote this yesterday, but didn't see it on the list,
apologies if this is a duplicate message)

On 20-Mar-06, at 10:23 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> OK, but if the charter does _not_ mention work on HTML, then HTML
> experts will not get signalled to take a look. I'm OK with that
> *only* if the DIX WG is bound to *not use* any HTML syntax
> in order to interoperate.

OK, I'm all for getting the right people at the table.

> My understanding is that DIX is currently deployed, to some extent,
> and that to interoperate with the deployed services, you have to
> do some HTML stuff.

DMD1 is deployed as part of the SXIP 2.0 protocol from Sxip Identity.
And, yes DMD1 is based on HTTP/HTML... and DMD1 should call that
out more clearly. I have that action for the next draft.

> The charter should err on the side of noting all communities
> of experties that might be relevant.

Agreed, I will edit the proposed draft charter to reflect more strongly
that HTTP/HTML is a likely transport layers for DIX.

I hope that a result of the DIX BOF tomorrow will be increased clarity
around the scope of DIX and that we can make some definitive
statements around HTTP/HTML.

John