Fwd: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt

Fwd: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt

John Schnizlein
A new version of geopriv-dhcp-civil was recently posted, which contains
the same text regarding restrictions on the use of the DHC protocol as
in -07, despite what appeared to be consensus to resolve this issue:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg05641.html

    This document only defines the delivery of location information from
    the DHCP server to the client, due to security concerns related to
    using DHCP to update the database.  Within the GEOPRIV architecture
    as defined by RFC 3693 [11], the defined mechanism in this document
    for conveying initial location information is known as a "sighting"
    function.  Sighting functions are not required to have security
    capabilities and are only intended to be configured in trusted and
    controlled environments.  (A classic example of the sighting function
    is a Global Positioning System wired directly to a network node.)
    After initial location information has been introduced, it MUST be
    afforded the protections defined in RFC 3694 [12].  Therefore,
    location information MUST NOT be sent from a DHCP client to a DHCP
    server as is normally allowed by DHCP.

I hope this is simply an error, and will be fixed before the (next)
draft goes forward.

John

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: December 27, 2005 6:50:01 PM EST
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt

> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working
> Group of the IETF.
>
> Title : Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4
>                           and DHCPv6) Option for Civic Addresses
>                           Configuration Information
> Author(s) : H. Schulzrinne
> Filename : draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt
> Pages : 23
> Date : 2005-12-27
>
> This document specifies a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4
>    and DHCPv6) option containing the civic location of the client or
> the
>    DHCP server.  The Location Configuration Information (LCI) includes
>    information about the country, administrative units such as states,
>    provinces and cities, as well as street addresses, postal community
>    names and building information.  The option allows multiple
>    renditions of the same address in different scripts and languages.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil
> -08.txt

Re: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt

Henning Schulzrinne
John,

my mistake, as I had asked for a declaration of consensus, but then never
followed up when the thread died. Here's my proposed text:

Therefore, location information SHOULD NOT be sent from a
DHCP client to a DHCP server.  If a client decides to send location
information to the server, it is implicitly granting that server
unlimited retention and distribution permissions.

To avoid another deadlock, I will insert this text at the end of the
paragraph in the introduction (replacing the MUST NOT) unless somebody
objects or suggests better text.

Henning

Re: Re: [Geopriv] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-civil-08.txt

Ralph Droms (rdroms)
Henning - will you please publish a revised draft with that new text for
review?  Thanks...

- Ralph