HTTP Refresh header

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

HTTP Refresh header

Anne van Kesteren
Header field name: Refresh

Applicable protocol: http

Status: standard

Author/Change controller: WHATWG

Specification document(s): https://html.spec.whatwg.org/

Related information: See
https://github.com/whatwg/html/commit/7e9f6b6ffe2119f43f909f71773a25a7e8a61ca7
if you're interested in the exact changes to the HTML Standard.


--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Julian Reschke
On 2017-08-09 19:00, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Header field name: Refresh
>
> Applicable protocol: http
>
> Status: standard
>
> Author/Change controller: WHATWG
>
> Specification document(s): https://html.spec.whatwg.org/
>
> Related information: See
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/commit/7e9f6b6ffe2119f43f909f71773a25a7e8a61ca7
> if you're interested in the exact changes to the HTML Standard.

It's great that you're doing this, but I think the changes in the spec
aren't sufficient at all in order to define the header field.

See
<https://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7231.html#considerations.for.new.header.fields>.

Best regards, Julian

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Mark Nottingham
It'd be nice if the header was well-defined, but those aren't requirements for registration; if it's in use (and it is), it should be registered.


> On 9 Aug 2017, at 10:58 am, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-08-09 19:00, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Header field name: Refresh
>> Applicable protocol: http
>> Status: standard
>> Author/Change controller: WHATWG
>> Specification document(s): https://html.spec.whatwg.org/
>> Related information: See
>> https://github.com/whatwg/html/commit/7e9f6b6ffe2119f43f909f71773a25a7e8a61ca7
>> if you're interested in the exact changes to the HTML Standard.
>
> It's great that you're doing this, but I think the changes in the spec aren't sufficient at all in order to define the header field.
>
> See <https://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7231.html#considerations.for.new.header.fields>.
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-message-headers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Julian Reschke
On 2017-08-09 20:02, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> It'd be nice if the header was well-defined, but those aren't requirements for registration; if it's in use (and it is), it should be registered.
> ...

That is true, but the registration actually should reference something
that specifies the HTTP header field.

Best regards, Julian

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Anne van Kesteren
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is true, but the registration actually should reference something that
> specifies the HTTP header field.

Could you be more specific?


--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Julian Reschke
On 2017-08-10 10:02, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That is true, but the registration actually should reference something that
>> specifies the HTTP header field.
>
> Could you be more specific?

a) Add a subsection that defines the actual header field, and reference
it in the template.

b) Add an ABNF.

c) Have a look at the list of considerations - most should be simple to
answer.

I'll give it a try if you want me to.

Best regards, Julian

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Anne van Kesteren
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-08-10 10:02, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Could you be more specific?
>
> a) Add a subsection that defines the actual header field, and reference it
> in the template.
>
> b) Add an ABNF.
>
> c) Have a look at the list of considerations - most should be simple to
> answer.
>
> I'll give it a try if you want me to.

Sounds great. I'm not sure an ABNF is a good idea here, but the other
things are probably worthwhile.


--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Graham Klyne-2
In reply to this post by Anne van Kesteren
On 10/08/2017 09:02, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That is true, but the registration actually should reference something that
>> specifies the HTTP header field.
>
> Could you be more specific?
>

FYI, the requirement for permanent registration per
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3864#section-2.1 includes "Specification
required", which is defined as:

[[
Specification Required - Values and their meaning must be
            documented in an RFC or other permanent and readily available
            reference, in sufficient detail so that interoperability
            between independent implementations is possible.
]]
-- https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2434#section-2

#g
--

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HTTP Refresh header

Anne van Kesteren
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Graham Klyne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI, the requirement for permanent registration per
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3864#section-2.1 includes "Specification
> required", which is defined as:
>
> [[
> Specification Required - Values and their meaning must be
>            documented in an RFC or other permanent and readily available
>            reference, in sufficient detail so that interoperability
>            between independent implementations is possible.
> ]]
> -- https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2434#section-2

Well, that part is definitely covered. So if that's all there's no real problem.


--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

_______________________________________________
Ietf-message-headers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-message-headers
Loading...