I-D Action:draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt

I-D Action:draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts Administrator
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers
        Author(s)       : R. Koodli
        Filename        : draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt
        Pages           : 50
        Date            : 2009-02-14

Mobile IPv6 enables a Mobile Node (MN) to maintain its connectivity
to the Internet when moving from one Access Router to another, a
process referred to as handover.  During handover, there is a period
during which the Mobile Node is unable to send or receive packets
because of link switching delay and IP protocol operations.  This
"handover latency" resulting from standard Mobile IPv6 procedures,
namely movement detection, new Care-of Address configuration, and
Binding Update, is often unacceptable to real-time traffic such as
Voice over IP (VoIP).  Reducing the handover latency could be
beneficial to non-real-time, throughput-sensitive applications as
well.  This document specifies a protocol to improve handover latency
due to Mobile IPv6 procedures.  This document does not address
improving the link switching latency.

This documents updates the packet formats for the Handover Initiate
(HI) and Handover Acknowledgement (HAck) messages to Mobility Header
Type.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Internet-Draft.

draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt (73 bytes) Download Attachment

Revision of RFC 5268

Devarapalli, Vijay
Folks,

We are revising RFC 5268 to use mobility header based HI and HACK
messages instead of the existing ICMPv6 messages. This follows from
earlier discussions on using ICMPv6 vs  MH for HI and HACK messages in
draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-02.txt

Please review the changes.

Vijay