IPv4 addresses in DHCPv6 options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IPv4 addresses in DHCPv6 options

Bud Millwood
Has this subject been discussed?

I was implementing a general input/output mechanism for the dhcpv6 user_class
option and it occured to me that if you length-prefixed each address element
in a dhcpv6 option (like the user_class option does for its elements), then
you could easily intermix both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses in the option.

Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about this
one?

- Bud

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IPv4 addresses in DHCPv6 options

Ted Lemon
On Monday 12 December 2005 05:24, Bud Millwood wrote:
> Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about this
> one?

There's actually a draft poking around from Tim Chown that talks about this.

In general I personally don't think it's a good idea - if you have IPv6
connectivity on your network, why is it partial, and if it is not partial,
why put an IPv4 address in an IPv6 packet at all?

But be that as it may, you can always send an IPv4 address represented as an
IPv6 address.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IPv4 addresses in DHCPv6 options

Tim Chown
On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:30:25AM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 05:24, Bud Millwood wrote:
> > Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about this
> > one?
>
> There's actually a draft poking around from Tim Chown that talks about this.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-04.txt
 
and drafty text arising from that

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt

--
Tim/::1



_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IPv4 addresses in DHCPv6 options

Bud Millwood
On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:18, Tim Chown wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:30:25AM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> > On Monday 12 December 2005 05:24, Bud Millwood wrote:
> > > Has a mechanism for doing this been worked out, and if not, what about
> > > this one?
> >
> > There's actually a draft poking around from Tim Chown that talks about
> > this.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-04.txt
>
> and drafty text arising from that
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt

Thanks for the info (Tim, Ted). I'll digest this for a while.

- Bud

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg