Is RFC 7841 a normative reference?

Phillip Hallam-Baker-2
RFC 7841 requires this sort of text in the boilerplate:

   For IETF stream documents, a similar reference is added: "Further
   information on (BCPs or Internet Standards) is available in Section 2
   of RFC 7841." for BCP and Standard Track documents; "Not all
   documents approved by the IESG are a candidate for any level of
   Internet Standards; see Section 2 of RFC 7841." for all other
   categories.

The precise boilerplate differs but they all require something.

Should I add this as a normative or an informative reference? I think it
should be normative but the text does not make this clear.

In my document prep system, it has to be entered as one or the other in the
catalog to create the link.

Re: Is RFC 7841 a normative reference?

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
On 7/12/17 3:10 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> RFC 7841 requires this sort of text in the boilerplate:
>

>    For IETF stream documents, a similar reference is added: "Further
>    information on (BCPs or Internet Standards) is available in Section 2 of RFC 7841 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for BCP and Standard Track documents; "Not all
>    documents approved by the IESG are a candidate for any level of
>    Internet Standards; see Section 2 of RFC 7841 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7841#section-2>." for all other
>    categories.
>

> The precise boilerplate differs but they all require something.
>

> Should I add this as a normative or an informative reference? I think it
>
> should be normative but the text does not make this clear.
>

> In my document prep system, it has to be entered as one or the other in the
>
> catalog to create the link.

Hi Phil,

The RFCs noted in boilerplate don't go in the references at all, unless
they are also listed in the main body of the document.

-Heather