OpenBMP | a new way to look at BGP data

Serpil Bayraktar (serpil)

Hi folks,

We'd like to introduce OpenBMP, an open source project that enables you to collect and easily consume real time routing data. Collection is based on BGP Monitoring Protocol (BMP - RFC 7854). For those of you are not familiar, a router with the BMP configuration streams BGP data (all address families) from all of its BGP peers to a BMP collector. In this project we provide a high performance, low footprint collector that can handle Internet scale and speeds.

With BMP, you can stream both pre-policy (unmodified updates as received before an import policy is applied to the peer or the router dropped the update due to error) and post-policy data (after import policy is applied, i.e. what is accepted by the router) which opens up some interesting analysis for security.

The collector produces both raw and parsed BGP data to Kafka using the topic structure specified in:

http://openbmp.org/#!docs/MESSAGE_BUS_API.md

Consumers subscribe to the topics of their interest on the bus to receive and use bgp data that is of interest. Parsed BGP messages allow consumers to focus on the BGP data itself instead of unpacking and decoding BGP NLRIs.

We have a collection of consumers including a UI. UI is a consumer of the data and makes REST calls to the database. The API spec can be found here (we are in the process of updating the API):

https://github.com/OpenBMP/db_rest

You can find all the information about the project in openbmp.org and the code in https://github.com/OpenBMP.

The easiest way to start is by installing two docker containers from here:

https://github.com/OpenBMP/docker

aio container includes everything except ui (kafka, database, consumer, collector)

ui container (if you want a ui)

I am sorry that we are not attending IETF this time but please let us know if you have any questions or interested in further discussions.

Thanks,

Serpil Bayraktar ([hidden email]

Tim Evens ([hidden email]