Please advise as to how to proceed

Tarek Al-Hariri
Hello,
Request for provisional uri, per text appended
Please advise accordingly.
Regards,

Scheme name:
  gdg

Applications/protocols that use this scheme name:
  GDG

Contact:
  Tarek Hariri
  <tarekalhariri&gdg.io>
  GDG
  1255 23rd Street NW
  DC 20037-1125
  USA

Change controller:
  GDG

  (documentation will be publicly available (and, we suspect, largely ignored) at https://dev.gdg.io/docs/spec as of 00:22 2017-10-10)

Scheme syntax:
  <gdg://> and <gdg:> are both valid:
  gdg:[<prefix>/<handleid>]

  where <prefix> maps one-to-one with a gdg handle identifier (eg. 10.22157, 20.500.12056, 20.500.12057) provides basic lookup / validation for identifiers. (Technically, any non-gdg handle.net identifier, not just gdg, should resolve, but this use is highly exotic and largely discouraged).

Scheme semantics:
  tl;dr Connecting to a gdg server, database, or cluster; retrieving a record.

  Intended use includes operating systems or applicable environments (&c.) with gdg application installed, or other means affording connection to a gdg server.

Encoding considerations:
  The scheme and method portions of this proposed URI mitigate confrontation with encoding issues by limiting itself to a subset of ASCII.
  URI query portion shall be encoded according to the rules in RFC 3986.

Interoperability considerations:
  none.

Security considerations:
  none.
  URI is not intended for transmission of senisitive data.

————

Regards,

Tarek Hariri

Re: Please advise as to how to proceed

Graham Klyne-2
On 30/08/2017 20:13, Tarek Al-Hariri wrote:
> Hello,
> Request for provisional uri, per text appended
> Please advise accordingly.

It would help me if the template said something about what 'gdg' if for.
(Saying "Connecting to a gdg server" doesn't really help me - a sentence and
pointer to a description of what a GDG server does would be more helpful.)  In
particular, I'd like to see some indication of what it is that a gdg URI
actually identifies.

There's a typo in the security considerations ("senisitive").  Also, security is
about more than just transmission (or not) of sensitive data.  It would be nice
(but not required for a provisional registration) to see this dealt with more
carefully.  I'd at least suggest dropping the "none" from that section.    It's
OK for security considerations in the registration template to reference an
existing document - we're not trying to make work here.  If you don't have any
kind of security analysis, it would probably be better to just say so - that
would not be a blocker for a provisional registration (though it wouldn't fly
for a permanent registration).

See also:

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7595#section-4 -- in particular, I'd suggest
putting the documentation online before actually requesting registration (see
next).  Removing the bit about being ignored would look more professional, IMO.

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7595#section-7.2 -- in particular, bullet point
4.  This list is the venue for review of proposed registrations (and it's good
that you have sent your proposal here for review), but is not the place to send
actual registration requests.

I'd recommend holding off sending your request to IANA until your spec is
actually online - indeed, you might get more constructive feedback here if the
spec is available for folks to see.

I hope this helps,

#g
--

> Regards,
>
> Scheme name:
>    gdg

> Applications/protocols that use this scheme name:
>    GDG
>
> Contact:
>    Tarek Hariri
>    <tarekalhariri&gdg.io>
>    GDG
>    1255 23rd Street NW
>    DC 20037-1125
>    USA
>
> Change controller:
>    GDG

>    (documentation will be publicly available (and, we suspect, largely
> ignored) at https://dev.gdg.io/docs/spec as of 00:22 2017-10-10)
>
> Scheme syntax:
>    <gdg://> and <gdg:> are both valid:
>    gdg:[<prefix>/<handleid>]
>
>    where <prefix> maps one-to-one with a gdg handle identifier (eg.
> 10.22157, 20.500.12056, 20.500.12057) provides basic lookup / validation
> for identifiers. (Technically, any non-gdg handle.net identifier, not just
> gdg, should resolve, but this use is highly exotic and largely discouraged).
>
> Scheme semantics:
>    tl;dr Connecting to a gdg server, database, or cluster; retrieving a
> record.
>
>    Intended use includes operating systems or applicable environments (&c.)
> with gdg application installed, or other means affording connection to a
> gdg server.
>
> Encoding considerations:
>    The scheme and method portions of this proposed URI mitigate
> confrontation with encoding issues by limiting itself to a subset of ASCII.
>    URI query portion shall be encoded according to the rules in RFC 3986.
>
> Interoperability considerations:
>    none.
>
> Security considerations:
>    none.
>    URI is not intended for transmission of senisitive data.
>

> ————
>
> Regards,
>
> Tarek Hariri

Re: Please advise as to how to proceed