Propagating ECN Across IP-shim-(L2)-IP: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02

Propagating ECN Across IP-shim-(L2)-IP: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02

Bob Briscoe-4
Wasim, Juan-Carlos, int-area list,

I have posted a major rev of draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02
It now gives specific text updating those tunnel protocols that didn't mention ECN processing.
Pls review/comment.
I am not on the int-area list, so pls include my email explicitly.

It includes an update to GRE specifying a safe config for legacy GRE tunnel endpoints, and also specifies how GRE can be updated to support ECN.
It also updates L2TP v2 & v3, and it is planned to update Teredo, once I hear from Christian Huitema

It includes a list of other tunnel protocols in scope, which I believe is now complete (famous last words!)

It is planned to WGLC in tsvwg by Sep 2017.
Pls tell the doc Shepherd (David Black, in cc) if you want it WGLC'd in int-area too.
If you want me to present a heads-up in int-area in Prague, also pls just say.

I have sent similar notifications to relevant authors and:
* NVO3 regarding implications for VXLAN-GPE
* opsawg regarding implications for CAPWAP
* l2tpext regarding implications for L2TP
* tsvwg, which is the home for ECN activity

Cheers

Bob

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 07:14:46 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: Bob Briscoe [hidden email]

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim
Revision:	02
Title:		Propagating Explicit Congestion Notification Across IP Tunnel Headers Separated by a Shim
Document date:	2017-06-16
Group:		tsvwg
Pages:		15
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc6040update-shim-02

Abstract:
   RFC 6040 on "Tunnelling of Explicit Congestion Notification" made the
   rules for propagation of ECN consistent for all forms of IP in IP
   tunnel.  This specification extends the scope of RFC 6040 to include
   tunnels where two IP headers are separated by at least one shim
   header that is not sufficient on its own for packet forwarding.  It
   surveys widely deployed IP tunnelling protocols separated by a shim
   and updates the specifications of those that do not mention ECN
   propagation (L2TPv2, L2TPv3, GRE and Teredo).  The specification also
   updates RFC 6040 with configuration requirements needed to make any
   legacy tunnel ingress safe.

The IETF Secretariat