RAND and non-commercial use license to end users

RAND and non-commercial use license to end users

Florian Weimer
Let's assume there is a piece of technology for which vendors can only
obtain licenses under conditions which do not allow them to grant end
users sub-licenses for commercial use.  (I.e., they must stipulate in
the product documentation that the IPR license is for personal,
non-commercial use only.)

Does this still fall under RAND terms?  I think it's distinctly
lacking in the “reasonable” department, specifically considering there
are jurisdictions where personal, non-commercial use of a patent is
never infringement (sadly not the U.S., though).

Re: RAND and non-commercial use license to end users

todd
There are NO non-commercial PERSONAL USES, they all involve the
commission of Commerce on the Internet. That means they are non-personal
in form.

Todd
On 11/30/2014 9:56 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Let's assume there is a piece of technology for which vendors can only
> obtain licenses under conditions which do not allow them to grant end
> users sub-licenses for commercial use.  (I.e., they must stipulate in
> the product documentation that the IPR license is for personal,
> non-commercial use only.)
>
> Does this still fall under RAND terms?  I think it's distinctly
> lacking in the “reasonable” department, specifically considering there
> are jurisdictions where personal, non-commercial use of a patent is
> never infringement (sadly not the U.S., though).

Todd S. Glassey
[Personal Email]
---------------------------
This email may contain confidential material protected as trade secrets
and the like and as such is by default considered private and
confidential in form. Without the word "PUBLIC:" as the opening tag in
the Subject Line this email is to be considered confidential and may not
be reproduced or excerpted in any form or disclosed to any unauthorized
parties in any form; If this mail was forwarded or incorrectly sent to
you please destroy it immediately.

Re: RAND and non-commercial use license to end users

todd
Speaking of which... would the IPR group consider helping Mr. McNeil and
I come up with a FRAND licensing model for the LBS services we control?

Todd Glassey

On 11/30/2014 10:04 AM, todd wrote:

> There are NO non-commercial PERSONAL USES, they all involve the
> commission of Commerce on the Internet. That means they are
> non-personal in form.
>
> Todd
> On 11/30/2014 9:56 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> Let's assume there is a piece of technology for which vendors can only
>> obtain licenses under conditions which do not allow them to grant end
>> users sub-licenses for commercial use.  (I.e., they must stipulate in
>> the product documentation that the IPR license is for personal,
>> non-commercial use only.)
>>
>> Does this still fall under RAND terms?  I think it's distinctly
>> lacking in the “reasonable” department, specifically considering there
>> are jurisdictions where personal, non-commercial use of a patent is
>> never infringement (sadly not the U.S., though).

>> 11/30/14

Todd S. Glassey
[Personal Email]