RFC 6353 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

RFC 6353 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

RFC Errata System

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6353

        Title:      Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport
        Author:     W. Hardaker
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [hidden email]
        Pages:      65
        Characters: 148571
        Obsoletes:  RFC5953

        I-D Tag:    RFC 5953

This document describes a Transport Model for the Simple Network
Management Protocol (SNMP), that uses either the Transport Layer
Security protocol or the Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
protocol.  The TLS and DTLS protocols provide authentication and
privacy services for SNMP applications.  This document describes how
the TLS Transport Model (TLSTM) implements the needed features of an
SNMP Transport Subsystem to make this protection possible in an
interoperable way.

This Transport Model is designed to meet the security and operational
needs of network administrators.  It supports the sending of SNMP
messages over TLS/TCP and DTLS/UDP.  The TLS mode can make use of
TCP's improved support for larger packet sizes and the DTLS mode
provides potentially superior operation in environments where a
connectionless (e.g., UDP) transport is preferred.  Both TLS and DTLS
integrate well into existing public keying infrastructures.

This document also defines a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols.  In particular,
it defines objects for managing the TLS Transport Model for SNMP.
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [hidden email].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

Re: IsmsRFC 6353 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Wes Hardaker-2

r> A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

r> RFC 6353

Thanks very much to all the companies that worked on implementations and
interoperability reports that made this (and the previous RFCs) possible!
--
Wes Hardaker
SPARTA, Inc.

Re: IsmsRFC 6353 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Juergen Schoenwaelder-2
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 09:08:39PM -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> r> A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.
>
> r> RFC 6353
>
> Thanks very much to all the companies that worked on implementations and
> interoperability reports that made this (and the previous RFCs) possible!

I like to second that. The work on the interoperability report
revealed much of the "old" SNMP spirit of getting things "up and
running". Thanks to everyone involved and a task well completed.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany