RFC template for new write up

Saravanan Arumugam
Hi,

I would like to create a draft for a proposal in routing area(networking).

I have gone through "How to Write an RFC" PPT and helps me to understand few things(publication processes, DOs and DONTs, other tools etc). But I would like to get a template to fill my proposal which makes its more simple, also to avoid any format related issues. Could you please help me on this.

Thanks,
Saravanan

Re: RFC template for new write up

Robert Sparks

If you haven't seen it already, please look at

<https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/>

In particular, take a look at kramdown-rfc2629 and the programs like it. It (and xml2rfc) takes care of the formatting for you, letting you focus on content.

RjS

On 1/6/18 2:54 AM, Saravanan Arumugam wrote:
Hi,

I would like to create a draft for a proposal in routing area(networking).

I have gone through "How to Write an RFC" PPT and helps me to understand few things(publication processes, DOs and DONTs, other tools etc). But I would like to get a template to fill my proposal which makes its more simple, also to avoid any format related issues. Could you please help me on this.

Thanks,
Saravanan

Re: RFC template for new write up

Brian E Carpenter-2
On 09/01/2018 07:35, Robert Sparks wrote:
> If you haven't seen it already, please look at
>
> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/>
>
> In particular, take a look at kramdown-rfc2629 and the programs like it.
> It (and xml2rfc) takes care of the formatting for you, letting you focus
> on content.

And if you want to use xml2rfc directly instead of kramdown, make sure
to install a decent xml editor rather than using a plain text editor.
(I use "XML Copy Editor" on Windows, but there are various alternatives.)

   Brian

> RjS
>

> On 1/6/18 2:54 AM, Saravanan Arumugam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to create a draft for a proposal in routing
>> area(networking).
>>
>> I have gone through "How to Write an RFC" PPT and helps me to
>> understand few things(publication processes, DOs and DONTs, other
>> tools etc). But I would like to get a template to fill my proposal
>> which makes its more simple, also to avoid any format related issues.
>> Could you please help me on this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Saravanan

Re: RFC template for new write up

Julian Reschke
On 2018-01-08 19:35, Robert Sparks wrote:
> If you haven't seen it already, please look at
>
> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/>
>
> In particular, take a look at kramdown-rfc2629 and the programs like it.
> It (and xml2rfc) takes care of the formatting for you, letting you focus
> on content.
>
> RjS

Wow, that's really out-of-date. It still refers to RFC 2629...

Best regards, Julian

Re: RFC template for new write up

Sandy Ginoza-2
Hi Julian,

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 10:48 AM, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2018-01-08 19:35, Robert Sparks wrote:
>> If you haven't seen it already, please look at
>> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/>
>> In particular, take a look at kramdown-rfc2629 and the programs like it. It (and xml2rfc) takes care of the formatting for you, letting you focus on content.
>> RjS
>
> Wow, that's really out-of-date. It still refers to RFC 2629…

Good point - we have updated the page to refer to RFC 7749.

Thanks,
Sandy

> Best regards, Julian

Re: RFC template for new write up

Ronald Tse
Hi Saravanan,

You could consider using AsciiRFC (AsciiDoc for RFC) if you don’t want to deal with formatting and XML:

We’ve put up a simple and complete template of using AsciiRFC here, that you can just clone and start away:

A real-life example of using AsciiRFC for your reference:

Kind regards,
Ron

_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On 2018-01-11 02:58, Sandy Ginoza wrote:

> Hi Julian,
>
>> On Jan 8, 2018, at 10:48 AM, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-01-08 19:35, Robert Sparks wrote:
>>> If you haven't seen it already, please look at
>>> <https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/>
>>> In particular, take a look at kramdown-rfc2629 and the programs like it. It (and xml2rfc) takes care of the formatting for you, letting you focus on content.
>>> RjS
>>
>> Wow, that's really out-of-date. It still refers to RFC 2629…
>
> Good point - we have updated the page to refer to RFC 7749.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandy

Thanks!

Could you please also add:

"rfc2629.xslt (Julian Reschke)

     Converts XML to HTML or PDF; HTML conversion can happen directly in
the web browser when opening the XML."

...and link that to
<https://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html>?

Best regards, Julian