Re: AD sponsorship

Timothy Mcsweeney
Barry,

>Sometimes are specs are not clear on some points; we know that. This
>isn't one of those cases: the syntax of a URI is very clearly
>specified.

Why don't you do a tiny update for RFC3986 like Ted did for RFC3405 and make it abundantly clear that only the colon can be used for any URI?  Or better yet, I will and you can sponsor it.  That be ok with you?

Tim

I cc'd the people that I think would be agreeable to the idea to get some early traction.

Re: AD sponsorship

Henry S. Thompson
Timothy Mcsweeney writes:

> Barry [wrote:]
>> Sometimes are specs are not clear on some points; we know that. This
>> isn't one of those cases: the syntax of a URI is very clearly
>> specified.

> Why don't you do a tiny update for RFC3986 like Ted did for RFC3405 and
> make it abundantly clear that only the colon can be used for any URI?
> Or better yet, I will and you can sponsor it.  That be ok with you?
> Tim
> I cc'd the people that I think would be agreeable to the idea to get
> some early traction.

Count me out.  3986 as published leaves no room for doubt that the ABNF
is normative, and the ABNF requires what is elsewhere called the "scheme
delimiter", that is, ":".

Two quotes from 3986 may help reinforce this point:

  "The URI syntax defines a grammar that is a superset of all
   valid URIs"

  "The complete URI syntax is collected in Appendix A."

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [hidden email]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: AD sponsorship

Peter Saint-Andre-2
On 10/15/20 11:21 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> Timothy Mcsweeney writes:
>
>> Barry [wrote:]
>>> Sometimes are specs are not clear on some points; we know that. This
>>> isn't one of those cases: the syntax of a URI is very clearly
>>> specified.
>
>> Why don't you do a tiny update for RFC3986 like Ted did for RFC3405 and
>> make it abundantly clear that only the colon can be used for any URI?
>> Or better yet, I will and you can sponsor it.  That be ok with you?
>> Tim
>> I cc'd the people that I think would be agreeable to the idea to get
>> some early traction.
>
> Count me out.  3986 as published leaves no room for doubt that the ABNF
> is normative, and the ABNF requires what is elsewhere called the "scheme
> delimiter", that is, ":".
>
> Two quotes from 3986 may help reinforce this point:
>
>   "The URI syntax defines a grammar that is a superset of all
>    valid URIs"
>
>   "The complete URI syntax is collected in Appendix A."

Agreed, I see no reason to update RFC 3986 on this point.

Peter

Re: AD sponsorship

Timothy Mcsweeney