Request for LDAP Descriptor Registration

Request for LDAP Descriptor Registration

Matthew Key
Descriptor (short name): wja-* (preferred) or westjet-* (alternative)

   Object Identifier: 2.16.124.113625.1.2.2.2.1.101.*

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
Matthew Key
WestJet
+1 403 444 2167
[hidden email]

   Usage: other - family of short names (for custom object class and attribute descriptors)
   Specification: (RFC, I-D, URI) N/A for private use?

   Author/Change Controller: same as contact

   Comments:

The intent is to introduce standardized naming without appearing to over complicate the existing process (x- will be the preferred alternative over e-com-westjet- if this request is denied).

Re: Request for LDAP Descriptor Registration

Kurt Zeilenga
As the assigned expert for the IANA LDAP parameter registries, I acknowledge your request to register a family of object identifier descriptors under section 3.4 of BCP 64 [RFC 4520].  Your request requires Expert Review and I hereby initiate a 2 week review of this request.

Members of the community are welcomed to comment and discuss this request on the [hidden email] on or before 20 November 2011.

Regards, Kurt

> Descriptor (short name): wja-* (preferred) or westjet-* (alternative)
>
>   Object Identifier: 2.16.124.113625.1.2.2.2.1.101.*
>
>   Person & email address to contact for further information:
> Matthew Key
> WestJet
> +1 403 444 2167
> [hidden email]
>

>   Usage: other - family of short names (for custom object class and attribute descriptors)
>   Specification: (RFC, I-D, URI) N/A for private use?
>
>   Author/Change Controller: same as contact
>
>   Comments:
>
> The intent is to introduce standardized naming without appearing to over complicate the existing process (x- will be the preferred alternative over e-com-westjet- if this request is denied).

Re: Request for LDAP Descriptor Registration

Kurt Zeilenga
Matthew,

While BCP 64 does allow for portions of the "Object Identifier Descriptors" name space to be reserved, in so called "family of descriptors" for "some related purpose", there is little guidance in BCP 64 on delegation of portions of the name space by some non-IETF entity such as corporation you represent.  In response to a request of a similar nature some years ago, the community did discuss various concerns.  In response to that request, a portion of the e- name space was delegated to the requesting entity.

As the assigned "expert" for this registry, I believe it appropriate to respond to your request in a likewise manner.  In particular, I hereby approve registration of the family of Object Identifier Descriptors "e-com-westjet-*" in response to your request.

I note that, in my opinion, registration of the particular family requested (wja-*), or the alternative (westjet-*) stated in request, is inappropriate for a number of reasons.  First, I note that both of these are not in a First-Come, First-Serve portion of the name space, hence some reasonable claim should be made to justify the request registration.  But the only claim you make is one based on the stock symbol and/or trade names associated with the entity you represent.  However, BCP 64 as well as general IETF rules preclude me, as well as others, from taking any position on such claims.  Hence, such requests are better handled as First Come, First Serve requests, which e-* portion of the name space is reserved for.  Hence, aside from precedent, I believe allocation of the requested family within the e-* name space is best.

You noted in your request the possible use of x- name space.  While you certainly are free to make private use of any names within the x- name space, such names cannot be registered.

As author of BCP 64 I also note that it is my intent to add automatic delegation of descriptor name space to domain name holders.  Until such automatic delegation is formalized, I believe it best to continue the practice as established by precedence.

Regards, Kurt

IANA,

Please add the following entry to the "Object Identifiers Descriptors" registry:

e-com-westjet-* F N/A [Key]

[Key] Matthew Key, <[hidden email]>, November 2011.

Regards, Kurt