STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

Black_David
What I believe is the final draft of the proposed charter
for the STORM WG is attached; I've done a bunch of editing
and added the info about T10 and T11 doc access.  This is
about to go out for wider review.

Also, a reminder that STORM discussion will stop cc:'ing
other mailing lists soon.  If you're interested in STORM
work, please subscribe to the [hidden email] mailing list:

Finally - this is a near-final reminder that the [hidden email]
mailing list will be closing soon - all discussion of RDDP
protocols will move to the [hidden email] mailing list.

Thanks,
--David

Storm WG proposed charter v5.txt (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Ips] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

David Harrington
Hi,

I am satisfied with the text of the charter.
The milestones look aggressive to me, but you have a better feel for
the amount of work involved.

Thanks for the update,
David Harrington

Re: [rddp] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

arkady kanevsky
David,
The description of RDDP MPA bullet is too narrow.
(5) RDDP MPA: Good support for MPI applications requires a small
update to MPA startup functionality to allow either end
of the connection to initiate.

This bullet should also cover ORD/IRD negotiation as part of
connection setup. Also current RDDP connection setup is part of MPA
spec which is primarily for TCP stream markers. This bullet should provide
RDDP connection setup for both TCP and SCTP and for any message based
protocol.

How about:
(5) RDDP Connection Setup: Good support for MPI applications requires a small
update to MPA startup functionality to allow either end
of the connection to initiate. Add RDMA Read credits to RDDP Connection
        Setup. Make RDDP connection setup to be applicable for any message based
        protocols, including but not limited to TCP with MPA markers and SCTP.

I hope it is not too late to beef up this bullet.
Thanks,
Arkady

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
What I believe is the final draft of the proposed charter
for the STORM WG is attached; I've done a bunch of editing
and added the info about T10 and T11 doc access.  This is
about to go out for wider review.

Also, a reminder that STORM discussion will stop cc:'ing
other mailing lists soon.  If you're interested in STORM
work, please subscribe to the [hidden email] mailing list:

Finally - this is a near-final reminder that the [hidden email]
mailing list will be closing soon - all discussion of RDDP
protocols will move to the [hidden email] mailing list.

Thanks,
--David

Cheers,
Arkady Kanevsky

Re: [rddp] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

Black_David
Arkady,

I'll beef up the bullet, but probably not with that
degree of specifics.  Thanks for pointing this out,
and I apologize for the delay in responding.

Thanks,
--David

Re: [rddp] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

Black_David

And here's what I just did to that bullet ...

(5) RDDP Connection Setup: Good support for MPI applications requires a small update to MPA startup functionality to allow either end of the connection to initiate. In addition, a couple of minor changes to RDDP connection setup (based on implementation experience) are needed to generalize it for effective use with protocols that are not based on IP.

I'm about to send the result to Lars for wider review ...

Thanks,
--David

Re: [rddp] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

Pat (Patricia) Thaler
Did you mean "are not based on TCP" rather than "are not based on IP"?
Arkady was asking about connection setup for SCTP which the former fits but not the latter.

Regards,
Pat

Re: [rddp] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

Black_David
Hmm .. I read:

"but not limited to TCP with MPA markers and SCTP" as being motivated
by non-IP uses, e.g., InfiniBand and FC.  Arkady?

Thanks,
--David

Re: [rddp] STORM proposed charter - 31 May 2009 version

arkady kanevsky
David,
I was not proposing to extend it beyond IP based protocols.
Specifically I am trying to ensure that new spec can support
TCP/MPA and SCTP. Other protocols that are not IP based
or not even Ethernet based, in my view, are outside the scope of IETF.

In essense, it is RDMA connection setup on top of message
based protocol. So It be done on top of TCP/MPA, or SCTP or
maybe some other message based protocols that use IP.
Thanks,
Arkady

--
Cheers,