Scheme with both hierarchical and non-hierarchical elements

Scheme with both hierarchical and non-hierarchical elements

Adrian Hope-Bailie
Hi list,

My company is in the process of designing a URI scheme to address resources that are part of a complex distributed system.

Some of the resources make sense to be addressed via a hierarchical syntax as they have sub-resources and related resources which could be addressed relative to the parent.

eg: scheme://root-resource/sub-resource/other-relative-resource

However, there are other resources which do not fit this pattern. They stand alone and I am considering using a different syntax for these.

eg: scheme:namespace:resource-identifier

Is it considered bad practice to have a URI scheme that mixes these two forms?

Thanks for the help,
Adrian

Re: Scheme with both hierarchical and non-hierarchical elements

Sean Leonard-4
My 2ยข is that it is *good* practice. If you are going to have a resource
or protocol where network names and non-network names need to be
addressed, it makes sense to use the same scheme. Conserve the URI
scheme namespace.

There are not too many examples of dual-syntax URIs that I am aware of
yet, although this was discussed in the context of irc: URIs on the
apps-discuss mailing list last year (check the history).

Another alternative for your non-hierarchical resources is to establish
a new URN namespace, or create names in the context of existing URNs.
However, the URN work is in flux and so I would not recommend that path
unless you are really sure you know what you are getting into. Also,
URNs are supposed to be stable and unchanging, which may not be what you
are looking for.

Sean

On 9/17/2015 1:14 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> My company is in the process of designing a URI scheme to address
> resources that are part of a complex distributed system.
>
> Some of the resources make sense to be addressed via a hierarchical
> syntax as they have sub-resources and related resources which could be
> addressed relative to the parent.
>
> eg: scheme://root-resource/sub-resource/other-relative-resource
>
> However, there are other resources which do not fit this pattern. They
> stand alone and I am considering using a different syntax for these.
>
> eg: scheme:namespace:resource-identifier
>
> Is it considered bad practice to have a URI scheme that mixes these
> two forms?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Adrian

Re: Scheme with both hierarchical and non-hierarchical elements

Sean Leonard-4
Found an example of dual-pattern (with authority and without authority)
URI scheme: xmpp. See RFC 5122.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Scheme with both hierarchical and non-hierarchical elements

Adrian Hope-Bailie
Hey Sean,

Thanks for the help and taking the time. It's much appreciated.

Adrian