Second Last Call: rfc5953 (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)) to Draft Standard

Second Last Call: rfc5953 (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)) to Draft Standard

IESG Secretary
The IESG has received a request from the isms WG (isms) to consider the
following document:

- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network
   Management Protocol (SNMP) '
  RFC 5953 as a Draft Standard

Two issues were raised during the first Last Call: 1) references to IDNA 2003 (RFC 3490) need to be replaced by references to IDNA 2008 (RFC 5890), and 2) references to RFC 1033 need to be replaced by references to 1123.  This Last Call is focused on these two issues.

To address these points the following changes were made:

  OLD:

  A hostname is always in US-ASCII (as per [RFC1033]);
  internationalized hostnames are encoded in US-ASCII as domain
  names after transformation via the ToASCII operation specified
  in [RFC3490].  The ToASCII operation MUST be performed with the
  UseSTD3ASCIIRules flag set.  The hostname is followed by a
  colon ':' (US-ASCII character 0x3A) and a decimal port number
  in US-ASCII.  The name SHOULD be fully qualified whenever
  possible.

  NEW:

  A hostname is always in US-ASCII (as per [RFC1123]);
  internationalized hostnames are encoded as A-labels as specified
  in [RFC5890].  The hostname is followed by a
  colon ':' (US-ASCII character 0x3A) and a decimal port number
  in US-ASCII.  The name SHOULD be fully qualified whenever
  possible.

Changing the references also means the downref call needs to be updated, as follows:

  This specification contains eight normative references to standards
  track documents of lower maturity: RFCs 1123, 3584, 4347, 4366,
  5246, 5280, 5890, and 5952.

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[hidden email] mailing lists by 2011-05-23. Exceptionally,
comments may be sent to [hidden email] instead. In either case, please
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5953/

Implementation Report can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation.html

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5953/

Re: Second Last Call: rfc5953 (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)) to Draft Standard

sm-7
At 13:43 09-05-2011, The IESG wrote:

>The IESG has received a request from the isms WG (isms) to consider the
>following document:
>
>- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network
>    Management Protocol (SNMP) '
>   RFC 5953 as a Draft Standard
>
>Two issues were raised during the first Last Call: 1) references to
>IDNA 2003 (RFC 3490) need to be replaced by references to IDNA 2008
>(RFC 5890), and 2) references to RFC 1033 need to be replaced by
>references to 1123.  This Last Call is focused on these two issues.

[snip]

>Changing the references also means the downref call needs to be
>updated, as follows:
>
>   This specification contains eight normative references to standards
>   track documents of lower maturity: RFCs 1123, 3584, 4347, 4366,
>   5246, 5280, 5890, and 5952.

RFC 1123 is an Internet Standard (STD 3).  The normative reference is
not a downref.

Regards,
-sm

P.S. I am not asking for a third Last Call.

Re: Second Last Call: rfc5953 (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)) to Draft Standard

Wes Hardaker-2

>> Changing the references also means the downref call needs to be
>> updated, as follows:
>>
>> This specification contains eight normative references to standards
>> track documents of lower maturity: RFCs 1123, 3584, 4347, 4366,
>> 5246, 5280, 5890, and 5952.

S> RFC 1123 is an Internet Standard (STD 3).  The normative reference is
S> not a downref.

Good point; When the reference changed from the previous RFC to this
one, it should have been removed (not changed) in the downref list.

S> P.S. I am not asking for a third Last Call.

Heh.  Yeah, I don't think that's required for an upref.

--
Wes Hardaker
Cobham Analytic Solutions

Re: Second Last Call: rfc5953 (Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)) to Draft Standard

Sean Turner
On 5/11/11 2:28 AM, SM wrote:

> At 13:43 09-05-2011, The IESG wrote:
>> The IESG has received a request from the isms WG (isms) to consider the
>> following document:
>>
>> - 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network
>> Management Protocol (SNMP) '
>> RFC 5953 as a Draft Standard
>>
>> Two issues were raised during the first Last Call: 1) references to
>> IDNA 2003 (RFC 3490) need to be replaced by references to IDNA 2008
>> (RFC 5890), and 2) references to RFC 1033 need to be replaced by
>> references to 1123. This Last Call is focused on these two issues.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Changing the references also means the downref call needs to be
>> updated, as follows:
>>
>> This specification contains eight normative references to standards
>> track documents of lower maturity: RFCs 1123, 3584, 4347, 4366,
>> 5246, 5280, 5890, and 5952.
>
> RFC 1123 is an Internet Standard (STD 3). The normative reference is not
> a downref.
>
> Regards,
> -sm
>
> P.S. I am not asking for a third Last Call.

Well at least now I don't have to add it to the downref registry.

spt