[Technical Errata Reported] RFC6857 (6573)

[Technical Errata Reported] RFC6857 (6573)

rfc-editor
The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6857,
"Post-Delivery Message Downgrading for Internationalized Email Messages".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6573

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Kaspar Etter <[hidden email]>

Section: A

Original Text
-------------
   From: =?UTF-8?Q?DISPLAY-LOCAL?=
         =?UTF-8?Q?NON-ASCII-LOCAL=40example=2Ecom?= :;

Corrected Text
--------------
   From: =?UTF-8?Q?DISPLAY-LOCAL_?=
         =?UTF-8?Q?NON-ASCII-LOCAL=40example=2Ecom?= :;

Notes
-----
Taking the original text from Errata 3955 (https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid3955), the two encoded-words decode to: [hidden email] :; (According to section 6.2 of RFC 2047, linear whitespace between adjacent encoded-words is ignored.) This is clearly not desirable and thus a space should be encoded at the end of all display names in appendix A.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary.

--------------------------------------
RFC6857 (draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade-08)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Post-Delivery Message Downgrading for Internationalized Email Messages
Publication Date    : March 2013
Author(s)           : K. Fujiwara
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Email Address Internationalization
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6857 (6573)

ned+ima
It's not just undesirable; the example doesn't produce a result that conforms to
section 3.1.5 and 3.1.8. There are various ways to fix this, but the suggested
one is probably the simplest and therefore best.

This erratum should be marked as verified.

Beyond that, I take note that the the way the text is written suggests that the
genesis of this error lies in the apparent need to use separate encoded-words
for the display-name and addr-spec, which in turn suggests they have an attached
semantic that is sufficient to cause the space to be inserted.

This is not, in fact, the case: An RFC 2047 decoder is simply going to say,
"Adjacent encoded words, remove space" and be done with it.

If and when this specification is revised, it would be a good idea to clarify
this point.

                                Ned